March 25, 2013

Chic Shopaholic: theBalm Cyber Monday 40% Off

Black Friday/Cyber Monday is the best time to shop on theBalm's website because they offer 40% off, which is a pretty big discount for beauty products. I bought some new products that were recently introduced to the line plus a few favorites in new colors.


Powder to the People Brushes are a new collection of multi-tasking makeup brushes, 2 for the face and 3 dual ended eye brushes, that are cruelty-free. After seeing The Shades of U blog review and YouTube review of the face brushes, I decided not to get them because I thought they were a little too big and the handles were too long. I'm not particularly a fan of double-ended brushes either but I really wanted to try them anyway. The two eye brushes I bought were:
  • Give Crease a Chance:
    • All-over Eyeshadow Brush: Large wide, flat dense brush. Can be used to apply base color, brow-bone highlight and to powder the face on small areas like under the eyes.
    • Eye Blending Brush: Medium duo-fiber tapered dome shaped brush. Can be used to apply a wash of color all over, in the crease and to blend. Duo-fiber means it has a mix of natural and synthetic bristles so you can use it to apply emollient products like concealers and cream shadows.


  • Crease, Love & Happiness:
    • Smudger Brush: Small tapered flat brush. Can be used to apply shadows on smaller for more precision like the lid, brow-bone, outer and inner corners, as well as soften shadows and liners on the bottom lash-line.
    • Tapered Crease Brush: Medium tapered dome shaped brush. Can be used to apply colors in the crease, outer corners, a sheer wash of color all over and to blend.






















    Overall, I like the quality of the brushes. They're soft yet firm enough to do its job and don't feel scratchy on the skin or shed hairs on my face. Each brush has a clear slip cover on one end so you can protect it while storing them in brush roll or cup and it won't get smashed. A funny idea that I got to hold the brushes was from Too Faced Shadow Brushes Essential 3 Piece Set, to put them in a tooth brush case. Weird but it works, just make sure it's wide enough to fit them.

    Surprisingly, theBalm only has one type of eyeliner and that is the Schwing Black Liquid Eyeliner. It has a felt tip applicator that is firm but has the bend to control how thick or thin you want the liner to be and a long, fine point to draw the perfect winged liner. The liner itself is quite wet so you'll need a few minutes for it to completely dry. Once it's set, it leaves a nice matte finish. It's also a rich, black color that doesn't have any blue undertones or fades into a grey color. The only negative to this liner is that even though it claims it won't flake or smudge, it will run if you get teary eyed or the liner touches water. Despite it  it is not being waterproof or water-resistant, it's still an easy to use liquid liner that I hope will expand with more colors and become waterproof.

    There a few mascaras to choose from the line, one of which I bought from the What's Your Type? collection. I bought "The Body Builder" type which is supposed to define and volumize the lashes while conditioning and strengthening them with Vitamin E, Panthenol and Bamboo. It's not a waterproof/resistant formula but it claims it won't smudge which I can confirm it doesn't. The thin brush coats each lash without clumping or flaking off. I like that the mascara darkens my lashes but it doesn't hold the curl that well.

    One of my favorite products from thebalm that I tried from making my first Black Friday order last year, are the Hot Ticket Nail Polishes. The formulas are creamy, rich in color even with just one coat, and long-lasting. The shades I bought:

    • Coral Reef-ined: light creamy coral
    • I'll Pink to That: light creamy warm pink
    • Lilac Any Sense: medium creamy purple
    • All You Ever Do is Taupe: medium metallic grey-taupe
    • Root Beer Gloat: deep metallic golden-brown

    Finally, the last product I bought was from the new skincare they recently created. They have everything from cleansers and moisturizers to scrubs and toners. Not many people have really mentioned their thoughts on it on beauty blogs or YouTube videos but I got one product just to try out. I bought the Almond Microdermabrasion Face Scrub which is for all skin types. The Jojoba-based exfoliant buffs away the dead skin while the humectants help retain moisture. It's a very gentle scrub and the almond scent isn't overpowering at all, I'm sure people with even the most sensitive and delicate of skin would have no problems using it.


    theBalm has become one of my favorite brands and I love that they're expanding their line more and more. Their cute retro packaging doesn't take away from the quality of the products, if anything I think it draws people in to trying them out. What do you think of theBalm and what are your favorite products?



     Glamour Girl

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts with Thumbnails