February 09, 2013

Chic Shopaholic: Trade Secret, Hair Tools

I had to restock on some hair styling products and so I went to Trade Secret, which is a salon and sells  many professional brands.

First, two KENRA products:
  • Platinum Hot Spray 20: Protecting your hair is essential to prevent your hair from damage. This "protect and finish" spray is formulated to protect your hair from heating tools and UV rays, while offering strong hold. To use, spray each section of hair before using the styling tool (flat iron, curling iron, etc.). You can finish your style with a light mist of the spray to add shine. Keeping a style lasting all day is necessary for me since my hair only holds for a few hours. When I use this spray plus a touch of hairspray, it lasts all day. My hair doesn't feel crunchy and it doesn't leave any flaky residue. This has become one of my must-have prep products for my hair.
  • Perfect Medium Spray 13: Light-medium buildable holding hairspray. Holds the style but is still movable and touchable, and doesn't feel stiff or flake off. I like using this when my hair is down for just a light hold and to give a bit of body and volume.
KENRA has become one of my favorite brands for hair styling products. There are a variety to choose from to find the right one for your needs. The quality is excellent and the prices are affordable.

I've always wanted to dye my hair with bright colors but didn't want the commitment or the damage from the harsh chemicals. I bought Alterna Stylist Temporary Color Mousse Night Highlights at Trade Secret in Haute Pink, which is limited edition for Breast Cancer Awareness. It's mineral-based with no ammonia, peroxide or synthetic color.  You attach the plastic brush, shake can, then press a button to dispense the mousse. To apply, you just brush it through your hair and instantly you get steaks of color. Even though it has a brush to distribute the color, it can still get a little messy if you want to get in between each layers. I wore gloves and had a towel over my shoulders to prevent any skin or clothing from staining. After the wet mousse dries after about 5-10 minutes, you can use hairspray to set it to stop it from flaking. The color comes right out after one wash and the brush is easy to clean after you're done using it.

Haute Pink comes out hot pink and shows up well on my black hair. I took a photo on Instagram when I used it, it was at night with the flash on but you can still see it. I'm sure on blonde or light brown hair it will show up even more. This products comes in "regular" colors, brown, blonde, etc., but the pink is fun to experiment with, especially to punch up your usual,  boring style just for one day on special occasions. It's also an easy way to test out a color to see if it's a flattering shade for you before doing it permanently.


Last but not least, I needed to get more of Goody Sectioning Clips at CVS. "Duck clips" are a must-have for styling hair as it's more of a professional way to work on certain areas while clipping the rest of it out of the way. I mainly use them when I'm curling my hair, rolling up and clipping each section so that it will hold its shape as it cools and help hold the style for much longer. You can also use it to hold hair out of the way, especially if you have bangs, when you're applying your makeup. They're easy to grip to open and close, hold a lot of hair, and doesn't leave a dent on the hair.

What are your favorite styling products and tools? What do you think of temporary hair dyes?



 Glamour Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails