August 06, 2012

Chic Shopaholic: Drugstore Finds

I don't often buy drugstore makeup as I think spending a few dollars more on higher end products would be worth it for better quality, but I wanted to see if there were any hidden gems in the drugstore beauty aisle so here's what I picked up.
  • L'Oreal Infallible 24HR Eye Shadow: I've heard of a new powder-cream eyeshadow formula, Giorgio Armani for example, makes the Eyes to Kill Intense Eyeshadows. L'Oreal Infallibles are supposed to be the knock-off versions of the high-end brands and even though I've never tried them before, I thought I'd give the cheaper ones a try. To me, the formula is a combination of a saturation of a loose shadow, compacted into a pressed eyeshadow, with a smooth texture of a cream shadow. They're packaged in little jars with stoppers inside, which I think it's to keep the product compact. The three that I bought are all easy to blend but the shimmery ones have better pigmentation. It claims to wear for 24-hours and although I don't wear makeup for that long length of time, this  waterproof, crease and fade resistant formula does last over an eyeshadow primer until I wash it off. You can use your fingers or a brush to apply, even with a damp brush for more intensity. It has a slightly crumbly texture when you pick up the product, I think because of the loose powder formula, but no fall-out when you apply it. The shades I bought were:
    • Endless Pearl: satin vanilla-cream.
    • Iced Latte: metallic light yellow-champagne.
    • Bronzed Taupe: metallic medium warm-brown taupe.
If these drugstore versions have this of an amazing quality of the high-end version but with half the price, then they are definitely worth checking out if you're not ready to splurge. I'll probably buy the department store versions to compare and review on my blog.

The one product that I don't mind buying from the drugstore is mascaras. Since it's a product that only has a shelf life of 3-6 months once opened, I don't usually like to spend too much on high-end mascaras unless it's really amazing. I decided to give COVERGIRL Lash Blast Length a try in the water resistant formula. First off, the packaging is interesting because the wand is outside of the tube and has a cover instead. It's a good way to see what the brush looks like, which is made of "Elasta-Nylon", basically a rubber wand instead of the traditional bristle brush. The water resistant formula didn't smudge or flake but didn't really hold the curl of my lashes well. I notice these types of wands give lashes a really natural look compared to a bristle brush which coats the lashes more heavily. Even though I wear false lashes 99% of the time, I still want my own lashes to be visible if I opt to not wear them and so this mascara barely coated them or lengthen them as the product claimed it would. I don't think I'll repurchase this again but if you're looking for a really natural-looking mascara though, give this a try.

I'm always looking for an all-in-one base and top nail polish as it seems to be a better deal than buying them separately, so I bought Sally Hansen Double Duty Strengthening Base & Top Coat. When used as a base coat, it claims to moisturize and hydrate the nails with Panthenol and when used as a top coat, it's supposed to protect the nails with Nylon. The consistency of the nail polish is a bit goopy so I try not to have too much of it on my brush. It applies smoothly, doesn't streak and leaves a nice glossy shine. The brush is big enough to cover the nail without getting the polish all over your fingers.

How do you compare drugstore quality to department store brands? Does the same job or just doesn't cut it? What products do you recommend that I check out?


Glamour Girl

1 comment:

  1. Bronzed-Taupe looks gorgeous! Great pigmentation, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails