May 20, 2012

Chic Shopaholic: Sephora Chic Week 15% Off

Sephora had 15% off everything for V.I.Bs and B.Is during Chic Week last month. I placed two orders online, here's what I bought in the first shipment:

I repurchased a few products from Bumble and bumble (Thickening Hairspray and Tonic Lotion) but  also bought the Styling Creme which I wanted to try. The texture is a combination of a gel and a mousse that is supposed to add body and hold to the hair. I start with a quarter-size amount in the palm of my hands, rub them together so the product is spread evenly throughout my fingers, then apply it on damp hair. The product says the more you use it, the more it will hold so I add more if needed. I like this product better than a traditional gel because my hair doesn't feel crunchy and weigh down my hair but still holds the style well.

I also repurchased Soap & Glory Hand Food Hand Cream in the 10 oz. size which is a better value to keep at home, as well as bought a couple of other products that I wanted to try. I wanted to get a lighter body moisturizer for the Summer so I picked up The Daily Smooth Body Butter. It has Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter and Rosehip Seed Oil. It's scented with S&G Mist You Madly fragrance which has bergamot, black currant, magnolia, freesia, vanilla and musk. I chose this over The Righteous Body Butter which I've tried and The Righteous Butter Body Lotion that I tried at the store because I felt that the texture was a nice combination of the two products. It's easy to apply like a lotion but has the richness of a body butter. My skin feels soft and hydrated but without any greasy residue.

I needed a new acne-spot treatment so I bought S&G Dr. Spot Invisible Spot-Fighting Gel. It has salicylic and lactic acids to clear clogged pores and ingredients that claim to balance pH, control oil and help relieve irritation and inflammation. The gel texture is a bit sticky at first but dries down quickly. I like that it's clear because I can wear it under makeup and it will treat the blemish. It does seem to clear my blemishes without over-drying my skin.

I've been looking for a good sunscreen to wear under makeup and haven't liked any from drugstore brands so I thought I'd give high-end brands a try. I've heard good things about Clarins skincare so I bought the UV Plus HP Day Screen High Protectection SPF 40. It protects UVA and UVB rays, as well as environmental pollution and free radicals. I really like the formula which is unlike other sunscreens. It has a thin, fluid texture that makes it easy to apply and spread onto the face. It also feels moisturizing and lightweight on the skin and is oil-free. It leaves a matte finish that  that doesn't leave a white cast on my face and so it even work well as makeup primer and I have no problems photographing it with it on. I also like that it doesn't irritate my eyes and make them watery when I apply it around my eye area.

After loving the Brow Wiz and Tinted Brow Gel from Anastasia Beverly Hills, I wanted to get their Brow Powder Duo. I have black hair and the brand recommends Ebony for dark brown to black hair. On the left side, it's a dark cool-brown and on the right it's a dark blackened-brown. You can wear each shade on it's own or mix the two for a custom shade. I like that the colors aren't warm toned and are dark enough to define my brows but doesn't make them look harsh. The quality is pigmented, powdery and smooth to apply but not flaky. Regular powder eyeshadows work just fine for me to fill in my brows but sometimes products specifically made for for brows have binders that lasts longer on the skin.

I wanted to give nails inc. regular nail polishes a try after getting their Magnetic Polish for Christmas. I bought the Neon & Nudes Collection which consists of three bright and three "nude" color polishes. They are about half the sizes of their full-sizes polishes which makes it a great to try a bunch of colors without wasting it. I really like the formula of the nude shades. They are pigmented, apply smoothly, have a shiny finish and lasts long on the nails. The neons however, take a few coats for it to to be opaque and apply a bit streaky. It also chips and cracks quicker on the nails and has a semi-matte finish. I still think this is a great set to have because it has both neutral shades and pops of color that is perfect for Spring and Summer. Colors in the set include:
  • Porchester Square: light-medium grey
  • Cadogan Square: medium 
  • Jermyn Street: medium rose-y bown
  • Portobello: bright coral
  • Notting Hill Gate: bright hot-pink
  • Westbourne Grove: bright yellow-orange

I also picked up nails inc.'s Westminster Bridge Matte Effect Top Coat. I wanted to get a mate top coat because it's an easy way to change up the finish of any nail polish. You can also just apply to the tips for a subtle matte french-manicure. This polish isn't completely matte though, more like a semi-matte satin finish. In the photo, the first nail is with a regular top coat and the second nail is with the matte top coat. As you can see, it leaves a dull finish that still has a subtle sheen.

These last two things were on the sale rack and I thought I'd just throw it in my order. They are bags carried in Sephora's line, designed by Yuma Bella. I bought a Rose Gold Clutch and a Turquoise Wristlet. Both have a metallic sheen, a small zipper pouch on the back  and straps that can be worn as a wristlet. The Rose Gold is twice as large as the Turquoise bag and so it can work as a small makeup travel bag, whereas the Turquoise can only fit a few small things for a night out. Both bags are fun colors for the Summer and can be paired with a day time or night time outfit.


For my second order, I picked up a couple of little things for myself and for my mom which she let me swatch and photograph for my blog.

I bought a YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain in 12 Coril Fauve. It's a medium red-coral that's perfect for the Summer. This one seems to be a little sheerer in pigmentation compared to 11 Rouge Gouache. I'm still able to build up the layers for the intensity but it has a transparency to it that makes it look more like a regular gloss than a glossy lipstick.

I also picked up Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Professional Size to use in my kit. I use the regular size for personal use but the pro size is a better value. In the photo, I included the regular size to show the comparison. The pro size only comes in the Original shade, is a pale cream-nude color, which I like because it doesn't alter the eyeshadows that I use on top of it.


For my mom, I bought her TARINA TARANTINO Eye Dream Highlight Duo in Jasper/Agate. She likes light, neutral eyeshadows and so I thought this was perfect for her. Jasper is a pale golden-beige and Agate is a light muted taupe-brown. Both have quite a metallic-frosty finish to them but no visible shimmer or glitter. The texture is slightly powdery but still velvety smooth to apply and blend.


My mom has been looking for a liner that is a little softer than black but will still give definition. I thought Bobbi Brown Caviar Ink Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner was perfect for her because it's a matte blackened brown, a color that is dark enough to define the eyes but won't look too harsh. Caviar is nicely pigmented and easy to apply. Bobbi Brown gel liners are water-resistant but still give enough time before it sets to smudge with a brush if you want to soften the look.

My mom was really happy with both products. They have been added to everyday makeup routine, giving her a simple and clean look.

That's everything! What did you buy during Chic Week?


Glamour Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails