February 09, 2012

Chic Shopaholic: M.A.C, Sephora

While my friends Seiko and Akiko were here, we had three major shopping days in the time frame of just one week. The first stop was Ala Moana Shopping Center and I mainly stuck with beauty products.

At M.A.C, I bought Prep+Prime Skin as I needed a primer to use on clients. It's a silicone-based primer that s supposed to even out skin redness, sooth the skin, take away excess oil and help apply foundation and powders better. I tried it on myself using just one pump, it leaves a subtle white color on the skin and has a barely noticeable pearl sheen to it which I think helps with the redness but doesn't alter the color of what you use on top. I like the texture of it, it's very smooth and has nice slip to it.

Next, we stopped at Sephora and there were a bunch of products that I wanted to try.

I've used Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo and although I like the product, I wanted to try the Pronto Invisible Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray. I love dry shampoos because I can prolong washing my hair for about 2-3 days and just use a dry shampoo at the roots to refresh and soak up the oil in my hair. To apply, I spray at the roots of my hair under each section, let it sit for a few minutes, then brush out the product or massage it in with my fingers. The powder is "invisible" so it works great for people with dark hair like myself, you don't see any grey cast on your hair. It does give a little lift at the root and has a nice lemony scent that makes your hair smell clean. Compared to the other product I tried, this one is a lot easier to use. I bought the 1.4 oz. travel size to test it out but will definitely buy the full size.

The next two products I bought at Sephora are by Soap & Glory, a brand I've heard great things about and wanted to try.

I noticed my hands have been feeling dry, probably due to the cold weather and me using hand-sanitizers, so I bought the Hand Food Hand Cream To Go. It has macadamia oil, shea butter and marshmallow to soften the the skin. The texture is light and creamy and doesn't leave your hands feeling greasy. FleurDeForce and missglamorazzi on YouTube have mentioned that it smells like CHANEL Coco Mademoiselle perfume which I don't have and never smelled before but I do like the scent of this product, sort of rose-y floral, fruity scent.

The other Soap & Glory product I bought was The Righteous Body Butter To Go. With the Winter season and having dry skin, body butters are my best friend. This has aloe vera and shea butter to keep the skin moisturized, especially for very dry skin. I like the texture of it, it's thick but not heavy and absorbs quickly.

Both of these to-go sizes are great for travel but are also a nice way to try out the product to see if you like them. I've definitely have become a fan of Soap & Glory and will buy the full sizes of these products and check out the rest of the line as well.

I've been looking to try new brow products and after watching one of the pixiwoo sister's rave about Anastasia Beverly Hills, I decided to check them out. The brow products come in so many shades that it can be kind of tricky to find the right color for you but fortunately, there was a Anastasia sales rep that day to help me out.

I've always used clear brow gel, specifically M.A.C Clear Brow Set but wanted to try a tinted one. The sales rep recommended Tinted Brow Gel in Espresso, noting to her that I wanted darker brows. If I wanted to go for lighter, softer brows then Granite would've been better since it's more grey. Espresso works really well for me though, especially with having black hair. This shade is a neutral cool dark brown with no red undertones in it. I also notice a very subtle sparkle in it when I look real close which I think highlights the brow and gives it more dimension. I really like the texture of the gel as well, it's not too thick and dries down to really hold the hairs in place but doesn't feel too hard and stiff. The best part about this product for me though is that I can wear it on its own. I can apply it when I'm in a rush by just giving my brows a quick brush through to fill them in and for hold, for a natural look. The color stays on and the gel holds my brows all day with no fading or flaking.

I also thought I'd try the Brow Wiz in Medium Ash which is a retractable brow pencil. The Anastasia rep said the formula is the same as the Perfect Brow Pencil but with a slimmer pencil to be able to draw fine hair-like lines. Medium Ash is a medium grey brown which works well for my black brows. The texture of the pencil is a little waxy and can be hard to show the color but I think it helps to build the color and not have that overdrawn brow look. The other end of the pencil has a slim mascara brush-wand to help blend the pencil in.

I really love these two brow products, I can use them together for a fuller, defined brow or separately for more of a natural, subtle brow. They come in so many shades that you're bound to find one that matches will work for you.

I'm really pleased with this shopping haul, especially with discovering new brands. What brands have you discovered lately? What are your favorite products from them?



Glamour Girl

1 comment:

  1. Excellent article and I think the post that touchs readers's concerns always rock and more comments to come

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails