It was that time of year again, Sephora's 20% off Friends & Family sale. Lot's of products to write about so let me get right on it!
- Clarisonic Normal Skin Replacement Brush Head: I needed to buy a backup brush head for my Clarisonic Mia and have the one for sensitive skin but wanted to give the one for normal skin a try. I have been using Mia for about a year, 2-3x a week and love the way my skin feels super clean afterwards. It just gives the right amount of exfoliation to my skin without irritating it and I have noticed less breakouts since using it. The replacement pack comes with a set of two and since I don't use it that often, I only replace it about every 4-6 months. I haven't changed to the normal brush head yet but when I do, I'll give an update and comparison to sensitive brush head.
- Lancome Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover: This is my mom's favorite eye makeup remover and I have been using it myself recently and really like it. It's a bit pricey and there are so many oil-water based eye makeup removers but I like that it doesn't leave any oily residue on my skin, doesn't sting my eyes and removes waterproof eye makeup really well.
Recently, I've been getting into trying more Bumble and bumble hair products. I bought a full size 8 oz. bottle of the Thickening Hairspray, after trialing the 2 oz. travel size and really liking it. You can read my review for it here.
I also picked up the Tonic Lotion, again in the 2 oz. bottle to try it out. It has vitamins, herbs and tea tree oil to detangle, refresh your head and sooth your scalp. You can use on damp or dry hair as a styling primer and it's suggested to use it with the Thickening Hairspray for the "ultimate blow-dry". I've used it as advised and have gotten nice results, my hair looks smoother and has a bit of body and movement. I also really like how my scalp tingles because of the tea tree oil, it feels very invigorating. I definitely will be trying more Bumble and Bumble hair products in the future.
- Laura Mercier SC-2 Secret Camouflage: I love trying new concealers and so I picked this up because I've read raves reviews for it. It has two shades, one to match the skin's depth of color (the larger pan) and one to match the skin's undertone (the smaller pan). You are meant to mix both shades to get a custom blend for your perfect match. It's a very concentrated coverage concealer that covers blemishes, capillaries, dark circles around the eyes, redness and scars. In the swatches, I swiped each shade individually then blended together. The texture is dry at first but once you warm it up, either with a brush or your fingers, it's easy to apply and stays on the skin well. It takes a while to get used to the application and to get the right shade but I really like the full coverage it gives and that it covers both the under the eye area and anywhere on the face for spot concealing.
- Tarte Exposed Amazonian Clay 12-hour Blush: This is another raved about product, especially in this color. It's a matte pinky-brown nude, a great color for a natural look or when you have dramatic eye and lip makeup and you want the blush color to be toned down. These blushes have become popular because of how long wearing they are. They are infused with natural clay from the the Amazonian River and are baked by the sun. It's supposed to last up to 12-hours and benefit all skin types: it controls the oil for oily skin, hydrates and nourishes dry skin and balances combination skin. The texture of the blush is smooth, powdery soft but not flaky and is easy to blend. The color is also nicely pigmented and does last all day without any uneven or blotchy fading. I also think it's smart that the coloring of the compact matches the color of the product inside so it makes it easier to find the color you're looking for.
After receiving the Hourglass Visionaire Eyeshadow for my birthday, I wanted to check out their other standout products that I've read about. Here's what I got:
- Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15: This is a mineral based and water-resistant primer that is supposed to minimize pores, absorb excess oil and keep makeup looking fresh all day. The product is white with a slightly blue tint but goes on clear on the skin and has a light, silky, texture to it that makes my skin feel smooth that helps my makeup apply more easily. I bought the 0.33 oz. travel size to try it out first, as the full size is quite pricey but one pump is enough for the whole face that this size should last me for quite a while. Even though I don't have oil control or shine problems, I do like the primer and find my makeup does stay on well all day.
- Rouge Aura Sheer Cheek Stain: Sometimes I like to wear cream or stain blushes when I want a natural and quick makeup look as they are easier to apply, so I picked this up which is a water-based cheek stain. You twist the bottom to dispense the product and use the sponge-felt applicator to dab it on your cheeks and then blend it with your fingers. The top swatch is of the product first applied then the second swatch is the product blended out. Rouge is a sheer red-plum shade that gives a very natural looking sheer hint of color to the cheeks but can be layered for more intensity. I like the lightweight, easy to blend texture and that it has a slightly dewy finish to it.
- Urban Decay Mariposa Palette: UD makes alot of eyeshadow palettes but some are a little too big and bulky (i.e. Book of Shadows) or the colors are too glittery and the shades are not to my liking. I bought this palette though because it has a nice mix of neutrals and vibrant colors. It's housed in a square metal-tin which you could probably use to store something else once you finish the palette by taking out the insert. It also includes a synthetic eco- and vegan-friendly flat brush that I would actually use for touch-ups if I didn't have any other brush on hand. The general textures are consistent to other UD eyeshadows I have: smooth, easy to bend and have great pigmentation. Colors in the palette are:
- Rockstar: shimmery dark plum-purple
- Gunmetal: shimmery dark gunmetal grey with silver sparkle
- Skimp: satin-pearl pale peach
- Infamous: satin-pearl bright magenta pink
- Wreckage: shimmery medium muted brown with golden-brown sparkle
- Haight: shimmery medium teal-blue
- Money: iridescent shimmery pale grey-green
- Mushroom: shimmery dark grey-taupe
- Spotlight: shimmery beige-champagne
- Limelight: iridescent light copper-gold with gold sparkles
That's all I got from the sale! V.I.B's have an extended sale from Nov. 10-14 so I may buy a few more things during that time. Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I bought and that it's a mix of skincare, hair and makeup products. What did you buy during the sale?