July 26, 2011

Finding Freedom

This is a bit off topic from my usual blog posts but I'm really proud of this so I wanted to share.

SGI Quarterly is a magazine  published by Soka Gakkai International (SGI), a Buddhist organization that practices Nichiren Buddhism in 192 countries and territories. The magazine is sent to people in nongovernmental organizations (NGO), academic and diplomatic fields. Experts around the world share their perspective that relates to the topic theme for each issue. Members of SGI also share their own personal experiences relating to the theme of the issue and to provide information about the activities that SGI is doing around the world to promote peace, education and culture.

Anyway, the July issue was about "Finding Freedom" and as a SGI member and because a friend of my mom's recommended me to the editor, I was asked to share my experience and views on the topic. The editor emailed me back in March asking me what freedom meant to me, especially having a physical disability. I wrote about the challenges I had to face and overcome growing up and how SGI played its part.

I've scanned the cover and article below but you can read it online at http://www.sgiquarterly.org



Again, I'm proud and honored to have written an article for this magazine. I shared quite a bit about myself and struggles I've had and am still going through, but I hope this encourages people to define freedom in their own way. So the question is....What does freedom mean to you?


Glamour Girl

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your inspirational story! I continue to be so impressed by your makeup skills, and I have been motivated to try several of the looks you have posted (after being in a long rut when I used no makeup but lip gloss). This may not sound like a big deal, but taking the time to try new makeup looks has made me feel better about myself and given me a needed boost to my self image and esteem. I hope you have the opportunity to host a travel show - I think you'd do a terrific job and it would be a blessing to many people who aren't sure they can manage traveling. With admiration and best wishes, Amy (MissA9 from MUA)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the article! Your tutorials and reviews are great and knowing your story makes them even more special.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails