February 26, 2011

Chic Shopaholic: Neiman Marcus Beauty Event


It's time again for Neiman Marcus's Beauty Event! Last year I listed all GWPs that the brands were offering and fortunately for me, NM listed it all on their website here, so I don't have to do the tedious work. The event ends on March 6 so make sure you go to your local NM, or shop online, to get the gifts as they are available until supplies lasts.

Like always, when you spend $100 during the event, you get a tote bag of the color of your choice, plus samples. This year the samples are relatively the same but also less, if that makes sense. For a couple of them, you bring in the card to the brand's counter so to get a free consultation but then you spend on more things. I would rather have skincare samples or little makeup products but I guess they need to do whatever they can to bring in customers. Anyway, this is what you get from NM:
  • 0.25 oz. Kiehl's Rosa Artica Rehydrating Reactivation Cream
  • 0.03 fl. oz. Si Lolita de Lolita Lempicka EDP VOC
  • 5 Sheets Cle de Peau Beaute Le Coton (bring the box to the counter get a complimentary facial)
  • 0.1 fl. oz each. Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Double Packette
  • Fekkai Advanced Haircare Packettes:
    • 0.3 fl. oz. Ageless Rejuvenating Shampoo
    • 0.3 fl. oz. Ageless. Reconstructurizing Conditioner
    • 0.24 fl. oz. Ageless Reconstructurizing All-Day Hair Plump
  • Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensee Cologne Absolue Blotter
  • Bra-fitting consultation at NM

Of all the cosmetic brands, Bobbi Brown seemed like they had the best gift to offer and I've been wanting to try some of their products, so here's what I bought:
  • 6-pan palette; you can customize any combination of eyeshadows and blushes and so I decided to make a matte-blush palette but didn't fill it up completely.
  • 4 Powder Blushes; each blush comes in its own individual casing and to put them in the palette, you push the pan from the back and it'll pop out. They're kind of difficult to push out and I actually nicked one of the blushes. -_- The quality of the blushes are very nice though; silky powder and very pigmented, you just need a small amount and a light hand to apply.
    • 1 Sand Pink: matte medium rosey pink
    • 6 Apricot: matte bright warm pink
    • 16 Peony: matte bright bubblegum-pink
    • 5 Plum: matte medium pinky-plum
As I was pre-ordering my NM haul, I tried out BB's concealers at the counter as I've heard great things about it. After the Makeup Artist applied it, I noticed a huge difference in how it brightened my under-eye area. Even though she settled it with powder, it wore off a bit and smudged my eyeshadow and liner that I was wearing underneath, so I think I need to make sure to really set it well with powder. Anyway, here's what I got:
  • Light Bisque Corrector: This product has a peachy-pink shade that is meant to cancel out, or "correct", the dark blue-purple tones that are under your eyes. You could use this on its own or if you have heavy dark circles and need more coverage, you would apply this before using your regular concealer. It has a very creamy, emollient texture.
  • Creamy Concealer Kit: This contains a concealer on top and loose powder on the bottom. It's great for travel and comes with a soft mini puff to be used to set the powder. The MA used a brush to set the powder which is why I think the concealers wore off and so I may try to use the puff to press in the powder to set it better.
    • Warm Ivory Creamy Concealer: A yellow-based concealer to match your skin-tone. You could use this on it's own under your eyes if you don't have heavy dark circles or over the Corrector if you do, as well as on your face to spot conceal blemishes, post-acne marks, etc. Like the Corrector, it has a creamy, emollient texture.
    • Pale Yellow Sheer Finish Loose Powder: BB believes yellow-toned powders warms and brightens the skin better and that translucent powder makes you look ashy. Either way, when it's on my skin it doesn't look overly yellow and the powder is finely milled.

For the gift, I got the Bobbi to Go Set which contains an eyeshadow palette and lip palette They are about the size of a credit card.
  • Velvet Plum Eye Palette: I've only bought limited edition eyeshadows and they always have a smooth texture and nice pigmentation, and these are no exception. All colors are available to purchase individually.
    • Ivory Eye Shadow: matte vanilla
    • Woodrose Eye Shadow: matte light taupe-beige
    • Champagne Quarts Metallic Eye Shadow: metallic champagne-pink
    • Velvet Plum Metallic Eye Shadow: metallic deep plum-brown
    • Smoke Eye Shadow: matte dark brown-black
  • Pretty Pink Lip Palette: I've never tried BB's lipsticks before but these are very creamy, pigmented, and have a subtle dewy sheen to them. All colors except Uber Beige, are available to purchase individually.
    • Blondie Pink Lip Color: pinky-nude
    • Pink Lip Color: bright warm pink
    • Uber Beige Lip Color: caramel nude
    • Pretty Pink Metallic Lip Color: light pinky-brown
    • Ruby Metallic Lip Color: medium ruby red
Overall, I'm happy with my BB purchases and the GWP but the Neiman Marcus gift could've been a little better. Have you bought anything during the Beauty Event?


Glamour Girl

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carina! It's Christy from MUA & fairbeauty :) I participated in the NM event and feel the same way about the GWPs. I LOVE the BB To Go set (even though Nordies came out with a really good one soon after w/blushes!!) but the NM tote was just OK. That being said, I always love getting GWP & samples and found this to be a general sampling :) I bought BB Peony & Python NM exclusive set + BB bronzer brush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christy!
    Yea I've never participated in any other Beauty Event aside of NM lol. Hope you were happy with your orders though! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails