February 18, 2011

Chic Shopaholic: Josie Maran Cosmetics QVC TSV

Josie Maran Cosmetics is now being sold on QVC and recently had their first TSV, Today's Special Value, so I ordered a few things. The 5-Piece Argan Oil Color Collection is sort of a starter kit if you haven't tried her products. I picked the Fair set, which includes:
  • 1.7 oz Argan Oil: You can Google or go to the JMC website to read about the benefits of 100% organic argan oil but basically unprocessed argan oil, like this product, supposedly can fade spots, repair the skin, and treat acne from reoccurring. My grandma has started using it and has noticed her spots fading and either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or my post-acne marks don't seem as visible as before. Hopefully overtime, I'll notice more of a significant change. You can use this prodyct as a lightweight moisturizer for your face and body, smooth fly-aways and split-ends on your hair, and soften nail cuticles. On my skin, it feels moisturizing but not greasy or heavy and absorbs fairly quickly.

  • Creme Argan Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30: I mainly wanted this set to try this product as I was looking for a tinted moisturizer to use on days when I don't want to wear foundation but still even out my skin tone a bit. Creme matches my skin tone really well and just like any other tinted moisturizer, it gives a dewy natural looking finish. I do lightly powder over it to set it and even though I have normal-dry skin, after 4-5 hours my skin does get a little shiny. It might be because of the argan oil or because I live in a topical humid environment, but I do use a primer underneath and blotting sheets or pressed powder to touch-up the shine. The texture of this is a bit thick but easy to blend, and offers a bit more coverage, sort of like a sheer foundation. Also, you might think the product has gone bad if it comes out runny but sometimes the oil and pigment can separate, so all you have to do is shake the bottle before every use and it'll be good as new.

  • Creme Full Coverage Argan Concealer: I don't know if this is just exclusive to this set, a new product or a repackaged regular product as the other concealer JMC makes is different from this one. The packaging is is similar to TheBalm Time Balm Concealer, which I'm kind of disappointed because it doesn't have the pink-champagne metal looking casing like her other products. The product itself is quite nice - the texture is creamy, easy to apply and doesn't really feel like you're wearing it. I wouldn't say the coverage is full though, more like medium-to-full. It matches my skin tone nicely and covers blemishes and dark spots decently but not as well as my Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer. For under the eyes, it covers well and doesn't crease or cake up but I think for people with heavy dark circles, they may need a corrector concealer underneath.

  • Pink Peony Argan Color Stick: I'm not much for cream stick blushes as the ones I've bought, I don't reach for. This is a rosey-pink shade cream stick product that you can use on your cheeks and lips. The texture is creamy, very easy to blend and wears for a descent amount of time. Like most cream stick products, the pigmentation is quite sheer and just gives a very natural dewy finish. The scent is a little off-putting to me though, kind of menthol-y.

  • Pink Peony Natural Volume Lip Gloss: Same shade as the Argan Color Stick and has a brush applicator. The pigmentation is on the sheer side and the texture is slightly tacky but comfortable to wear. There's a subtle sweet coconut-y scent that I don't really like but I don't like coconuts so that's my only issue with this product.
Overall, I'm happy with this set and hope JMC will have good deals like this on QVC. The Unknown Beauty Blog has also purchased the 5-piece set in Light, if you want to check out her review.


My mom had also ordered something, the Magic Brows Universal Argan Brow Pen but didn't really like it so she gave it to me. I wouldn't say it's a bad product exactly, but it does have some minor downsides. Basically it's a dual-ended brow product, a pen on one end and a powder on the other.

The pen is a light taupe brown shade that has a felt tip applicator to draw the "hairs" and create the brow shape. It's easy to use the pen but to blend it with an eyebrow brush, the product kind of flakes off a bit. On the opposite end, the powder is in the cap and is a light grey beige-brown shade. To apply the powder, you use the sponge tip applicator to set the brow pen and fill in the sparse areas of your brows. I find the sponge applicator a little too big and not pointy enough, especially to set the tail of the brow. I think maybe a smaller applicator like even an angled brush, would work better to apply the powder and blend the brows. 

It's called a universal brow pen because the color is meant to be wearable for any hair color. I don't find this really true as when you layer the pen and powder together the color becomes more of a grey taupe brown. I think people with warm-colored hair or like a warmer brown brow color, would not like it. On the plus side, the product does stay on really well. Overall, I think it's an ok product. If the brand came out with more color options, I might try it again.

Top swatch: pen
Middle swatch: pen + powder
Bottom 3.swatch: powder

If you ordered these products or anything else from the JMC QVC TSV (that's a lot of acronyms!), let me know what you got and what you think!


Glamour Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails