February 09, 2011

Chic Shopaholic: Josie Maran Cosmetics

Recently I've been on a huge Josie Maran Cosmetics kick. It first started with the Argan Oil that I bought in my Sephora Friends & Family haul, which I've using almost everyday as a facial moisturizer and on other areas of my body when my skin is dry. The brand is created by model Josie Maran and about 80% of her products have a key ingredient, Argan oil. It comes from a tree in the deserts of Morocco and has many skincare benefits (Google for more info). I love the brands message which is "Luxury with a Conscience", meaning you can buy great quality products without using harsh chemicals that would harm yourself or the environment. To be honest, I'm kind of a skeptic in organic products because although the ingredients are natural, sometimes the quality doesn't perform as well as I hoped it would be. Anyhow, there was a free shipping code on josiemarancosmetics.com at the time I ordered and I thought I'd try the makeup products.

First item I bought was the My Favorite Argan Powders palette. All shades are permanent and the mirrored-compact contains 5 eyeshadows, 2 blushes, and 1 bronzer. The pink-champagne metal looking packaging is biodegradable and is actually made corn! The size of the palette, and the products itself, is quite small but is meant to fit in their Makeup Bag with Brushes set. The quality of the shadows, blushes, and bronzer are great: smooth, pigmented, slightly powdery but doesn't have a lot of fall-out when applied to your face. The shades in the palette are:
  • Chianti Eyeshadow: shimmery dark burgundy-plum brown, my favorite out of the 5 eyeshadows.
  • Valentine Eyeshadow: shimmery pink, a bit sheer but a wearable pink.
  • Cinnamon Eyeshadow: shimmery light pink champagne, best-selling shade and seems to be in most of their palettes.
  • Embrace Eyeshadow: shimmery golden copper-bronze, adds a nice warmth to the eyes.
  • Maple Eyeshadow: matte medium grey-brown, could also be used as a brow color in my opinion.
  • Fever Blush: matte rosey-beige natural flush (click here to see it worn on a client).
  • Beach #1 Bronzing Powder: light golden bronze with slight shimmer but appears matte on the skin. I thought it would be too light and barely show up but it does and looks very natural.
  • Passion Blush: matte light pink, looks cool-tone in the pan but gives a nice pop of color to the cheeks.
I think the blush names in my palette was mislabeled or the pans were switched because the description on the website were the opposite of what it actually looks like, if that makes sense. Overall though, I love this palette. The size is small (a little bigger than a business card holder) but I actually like it as it's sleek enough to carry in your purse for touch ups, switch a look from day to night, or if you're in a rush and need a go-to palette. If you want to try out Josie Maran Cosmetics eyeshadows and blushes, I would definitely suggest starting with this palette.

After coming back from Japan, I felt the need for looking for a travel brush set. I shouldn't actually be buying any more brushes after buying Suqqu's but I realized I didn't have a travel set that I could use on the plane, in the car, etc., so I wanted to be prepared for next time. ;) I was kind of particular in finding the right brush set though: I didn't want something too long or bulky but have all the right tool necessities that were multi-purpose and good quality to do the job.

The Makeup Bag with Brushes by Josie Maran Cosmetics seems to fit my tall list. The material of the bag is made up of a blend of silk and hemp and has 2 mesh pockets to hold their palettes (the My Favorite Argan Powder palette fits perfectly to give you an idea of the size of the bag) or other makeup products. The brushes aren't labeled but contain:
  • Lip Brush with Cap: could double as a concealer brush
  • Angled Liner Brush: could double as a brow brush
  • Small Eyeshadow Brush: could be applied on the lid, brow bone and inner corner highlight, and be used as a smudge brush
  • Crease Blending Brush: similar to M.A.C 224, could also be used to apply a sheer wash of color.
  • Powder Brush: Could be used to apply powder foundation or setting powder, blush, and bronzer.
I also bought the Eye Love You palette, which you can read my review here. I'm really happy I discovered this brand and hope you'll check it out. I actually have more Josie Maran Cosmetic products to review so hopefully you won't get tired of it. ;)


Glamour Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails