September 16, 2010

Chic Shopaholic: Cherryculture.com, Milani & NYX

Online shopping has its positives and negatives. It's convenient, you don't need to go in crowded malls or makeup counters. It's quick, just a few clicks and the items are yours. It's like Christmas morning when the UPS drops off your package outside your door. But as easy as it is to shop online, it can also be a bit difficult in knowing exactly what you're buying. Since you can't test the products like you would at a store, you will just have to go buy the pictures on the website. Of course, there are many websites that do swatches of the products and give reviews. What are your favorite blogs and websites? Some of my favorite blogs and websites for great product pictures and swatches are:
Also, because it's easy to just click your way through an "online cash register", it's easy to spend a lot of money. But if you don't like what you've bought, you can easily ship it back out to return it and not have to go through the hassle of driving back to the store and wait in line.

Anyway, last week there was a 20% off discount on everything at cherryculture.com. It was my first time ordering from them but it won't be my last. ;) It took 2 weeks to ships and I was getting a bit impatient lol, but worth the wait when it finally came in. The website mostly sales drugstore brands such as NYX, Milani, which is hard to find here. I ordered a bunch of stuff so let's just get started, shall we? Oh and I tried to take swatches of the products and even though they're not the greatest, hopefully you can get an idea. ;)

One of the first products I've tried and loved from NYX was the false lashes. There are so many designs at an affordable price. I got mostly natural looking ones but a few really dramatic ones that I thought would be great for Halloween or something.



I've read great things about their eyeshadows and thought I'd give them a try. I decided to get a palette as that would be "more bang for my buck", the only difficult part was choosing which palette to get! I decided to go with something "safe", 'Smokey Eyes' from the For Your Eyes Only sets . It basically has a gradation of shimmery and matte blacks to greys, a couple of dark browns, and two highlight shades in champagne and shimmery white. Even though it's a palette to do smokey eyes with, you could still definitely do a daytime simple look. There are no names for the eyeshadows but the pigmentation is really nice and the texture is smooth for being a drugstore brand. My only complaint with it is that I wish there was some matte medium brown shades for the crease to help transition the dark colors to the light colors. Obviously you can use other colors besides black and greys to do a smokey eye, but this is a nice palette to start with.

I also bought some lip products; one lip pencil, lipstick and gloss. I tried to pick colors that would go together but the swatches on the website weren't that accurate. I still like the colors though, here are the descriptions of each one:
  • 856 Sand Pink Lipliner Pencil: I thought Sand Pink would be a light muted pink but it's actually a medium rose hot-pink color.The texture is creamy though and the color would look great with bright pink looks.
  • Natural Mega Shine Lip Gloss: Just as the name states, the color is a natural no shimmer pinky-brown, great for everyday daytime looks or with dramatic eyes and a neutral lip. The gloss is creamy, medium pigmentation, and has a slight grape fruity-minty smell to them.
  • India Black Label Lipstick: I've read the BLL are the best formulas in the NYX line and so I chose a light peachy color. The texture is creamy, pigmented, and has a cherry scent to it. I would say the finish is similar to MAC Cremesheen Lipsticks where it has a slight glossy sheen to it.
I have a couple of NYX's Powder Blushes and really liked them. The powder is smooth without being overly flaky and the color is pigmented. I've not a huge cream blush wearer but wanted to give NYX's a try. They're very creamy, pigmented and very little is needed to apply. Cream blushes are great for dry skin because they don't accentuate flakes. They're also more natural looking than powder blushes because they blend into the skin alot better and give a dewy finish.


The shades I got for the blushes were:
  • Natural Powder Blush: matte muted peach-beige
  • Rose Petal Cream Blush: reddish rosy-pink
I got the Professional Fan Brush because even though I've never used one before, I thought buying an inexpensive one would be a good way to try it. You can use fan brushes to sheerly apply your highlight, contour or cheek products if you want a light application, which is great if you're heavy handed. I used it a couple of times and although the quality of the brush isn't that great (I wish it were a little more denser), it does the job nicely.

NYX have repackaged their Girls Nail Polishes and although I don't really know what the differences is between these and the regular nail polishes, which I like, I thought I'd give them a try anyway. I got three colors, a light everyday color, a bright, and a dark shade. Sorry there isn't any swatches but I'll wear them in upcoming videos so you can see how they look then. From left to right, they are:
  • Second Skin: pearly pinky-shell color with silver shimmer
  • Graperuit: bright cream warm-pink red
  • Purple Noir: shimmery deep bluish-purple

The two products I wanted to try from Milani were Liquif'Eye Metallic Eyeliner Pencil in Black and Infinite Liquid Eyeliner in Everlast (black). I've read on various blogs that Liquif'Eye is similar to Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Eyeliner Pencil and I would have to agree. Milani's is very creamy and easy to apply, pigmented, and does last long with only slight smudging when worn on the lower lash-line or water line. But because the texture is so creamy, I see it having to be sharpened quite often as it gets dull rather quickly. The product name is misleading though because not all of the colors have a metallic finish, the black was a rich matte black.

As for the Infinite eyeliner, I've read it's similar to M.A.C's Liquidlast Liners. Now as you may know, I love Liquidlasts because they're the only ones that stay on the lower lash line and water line for me and are great as liner bases. Milani's has a very similar packaging to M.A.C's, both in a tube with a brush applicator but Milani's has a slighter bigger brush. The texture is similar as well, both a "tacky" liquid but I find Milani's to be a little bit thinner but still just as black. If you're on a budget, I think both products are a great knock-off for the brands that they've been compared to.
That's it for my Cherry Culture haul, I hope my photos and descriptions were helpful! I know I've done a lot of these haul posts but I promise they'll be some makeup tutorials coming soon! :)



Glamour Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails